Saturday, June 25, 2011

MAC Week 4 Blog Post ~ WIMBA

 Student Artwork: Amy S. 6/15/11
Since I was not able to attend any of the WIMBA sessions, I reviewed the archives and sent out my project to my critical friends. Bryan Hammitt also reached out to me because he could not attend the WIMBA sessions either to present his paper. I read his article and gave constructive feedback. He is also supposed to give me feedback as well.  
After viewing the archived WIMBA sessions and seeing some of my classmates PowerPoint presentations, I made some changes to my own. I added in a few quotes but still kept things relatively simple. Again, I did not want audience members to be distracted by pictures or mass amounts of writing. Having a focus on what I was presenting and saying is important to me. I also took the feedback from my critical friends into consideration. I was able to add in some result pictures from my cycles, and have thought about finishing my Action Research Project by presenting new ideas to my school district, since it all began with them.

Here is the feedback that I have received from Katie Flavin, one of my Critical Friends:

"You offered some good insight into the background of your project. Working at the Gulf of Maine Research Institute definitely made me realize how much we rely on technology. Unfortunately I do not have the background that you have, but it seems like I am on par with some of the teachers in your building. It is a learning process. Since technology is such a great advance in our society, it should be obvious that it should be incorporated into the schools. A few questions I pose to you are: With all the research you did, did one type of professional development format come out on top with the survey participants? Would your school district be able to incorporate your survey information into their curriculum? Is there a universal program for teachers to use to teach them about technology if they are not getting the help they need from the districts? As far as the presentation goes, it looks well rounded. There are enough slides to explain the points you want to get across, but not too many that it is an overload."

Here is the feedback that I have received from Angela Dixion, one of my Critical Friends:


"It looks great Liz! Can the staff technical developer that Alissa Walters talked about do more professional development for the teachers? It was good that that person was able to instruct the teachers with technology. If they were able to teach the teachers, they should be utilized for the professional development. What were results from the cycles? Maybe you could add in some more information on that."

Here is the feedback that I have received from Bryan Hammitt:

"I thoroughly agree on your topic of needing more professional development within school districts for technology education.  Having very little technology available to our school district and even less time to learn it, much less have the time to incorporate it into our curriculum is a continuous existing problem.  When you present this at a conference (hopefully there will be administrators there), please also the importance of time to incorporate it into existing curriculum, not just learning how to use the tool.  Thank you for identifying this problem in today’s education.  I’m glad to see it will be addressed at a conference."

1 comment: