Sunday, June 19, 2011

MAC Week 3 Reading



(photo from "The Art of Possibility" by Zander page 110)

I truly enjoyed the phrase that talked about the conductor’s power. It does not reside in himself, but more so in the way he makes other people powerful. Having been in a power struggle situation since September, it is interesting to see the world through a conductor. He does not make any noise at all, it is the way he pieces the instruments together through his instruction that makes the music. If only more people would understand that and see the power in that. With my work in the school setting and the retail world, I have come across many managers, teachers, etc, that have the mindset of a conductor.
Rule Number 6 is a good rule. Lightening up will do a lot of people a lot of good. However, I never truly understood the phrase ‘don’t take yourself too seriously’, I do know that people need to lighten up. People need to laugh more and look at the big picture more often. All too often we fall prey to the corporate world and don’t stop and ‘smell the roses’.
Poor Roseanna! Like many, I hate making mistakes. There is truth to thinking that we can get over taken by defeat if we keep from making mistakes. I find it funny that there is actually something called ‘downward spiral talk’. Many times I have heard that ‘things are on a downward spiral’, but to pair that with talk, it makes sense. Downward spiral automatically puts negativity, hopelessness and despair into your thoughts. Is it easier to look at the negative then to focus on the positives? Thinking in terms of the way things are – not what they should be will readjust your focus. If you have a starting point and of course a goal, it is easier to get there. If you sit and focus on only what you do not have, then you will get nowhere.
Passion is something that I am fully engulfed in. I am so passionate about teaching that people say I light up whenever I talk about it. When I think about teaching I put everything into it. I do not leave work at school and that is it. I am enthralled with teaching and everything that it involves all day every day. There is not a store I go to that I don’t think about creating a project or how I can incorporate something into my classroom. That is passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment