Sunday, June 5, 2011

MAC Week 1 Blog Post - Discussion Board Responses / Replies


 (Picture from my personal collection)
 
Topic #1: DIY Classroom / Presentation Solutions

Elizabeth Granberg                                                         June 5, 2011
Last year during my Student Teaching experience in a Fourth / Fifth Self Contained classroom setting, I was using a SMARTboard for one of my observations. This was the first year that the school received the boards, so everyone was still not 100% tech savvy with the boards. My lesson was a Civil War review using a quiz that I created through the Notebook software. Staying a step ahead, I printed out transparencies of each slide to use with a projector in case the SMARTboard was malfunctioning. Luckily I did have the slides because the computers were down during the time of my lesson when my supervisor was observing me. She was glad that I had the back-up plan; otherwise it would have not gone well at all.


Alicia Westbrooks:                                                          May 31, 2011
I love White Boards more than Chalk board especially when I found out I was allergic to Chalk. I could not believe it. I had to purchase non allergic chalk and keep wet wipes in my classroom. I got really creative and had the children would write on the board they loved it and i loved not getting my hands dirty.

Elizabeth Granberg                                             June 5, 2011
Since I work with the Autistic population, many of my students have sensory issues and allergies as well. We have had to come up with creative ways to allow students to use different chalk holders, etc. so they can still experience using the chalkboards and sidewalk chalk outside.



Topic #2: Tech in your Workplace

Elizabeth Granberg                                                         June 5, 2011
For the past two years I have had the wonderful opportunity to work with two different interactive whiteboards. Last year I used SMART Technology and this year I am using ENO Boards by Polyvision. They are both useful for the classroom, however we have found that the ENO Boards are not as user-friendly.
Next year I am going to a completely new environment where there is barely any technology at all. As of September I was hired as a classroom teacher for a charter school in New York City. This school only has a laptop for each teacher in the classrooms and a handful of projectors. It is definitely going to be a step back from this year. There are a few different investments that I am looking to make such as an iPad, as well as my own individual projector. Luckily I currently have two laptops, so one will probably be dedicated to my classroom to hook up to that projector. I am also looking into different grants to see what technology is available out there for my new school and classroom. 


Taylor Stoker                                                                     June 5, 2011
I teach at a very low socioeconomic school district and we receive many grants from the state. One of the biggest grants is a technology grant. Every student in our high school has a Macbook and all the teachers have Macbook Pros. Not only that, but we have clicker systems, mimio white board, two computers, and the tablet writer that allows you to walk around the room. I have not seen this much tech in other schools that I have been to.

Elizabeth Granberg                                             June 5, 2011
I will be going into a similar work environment next year. It is great to know that there is a possibility for a technology grant to receive such great items for the students. I have my homework cut out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment