Sunday, June 5, 2011

MAC Week 1 Comment 1 ~ Sharon Clay

 (creative commons: Dawn Endico @ http://search.creativecommons.org/?q=books)

Sharon Clay:
MAC Week 1 Blog Post
Copyright Issues Part 1: I have never fully understood the true nature of copyright. When I moved from middle school (when research projects were introduced) through high school I can remember photocopying images, recording songs, and using logos as part of many assignments without regard to or knowledge about acknowledging the creator. I see students now making the same errors I made when I was in middle school in regards to copyright issues.  I think this video segment is perfect to use in a middle school setting because the language is simple and straightforward.

Copyright Issues Part 2: I really enjoyed A Fair (y) Use Tale!  I think this video is a perfect way to introduce the topic of Copyright to middle school students because they can all relate to the Disney theme and characters. I think this video would spark engaging classroom discussion and provide an excellent springboard for “copycat” presentation told from other perspectives.  The most interesting part for me was how much copyrighted material can be used under the Fair Use conditions. Watching the filmmakers share their apprehensions and experiences with Fair Use issues was enlightening for me. When I view documentary I can usually make an emotional connection to the presentation. That is do in large part to the images but when Byron Hurt discussed his fears about using certain images because he feared legal ramifications; even after consulting with lawyers I developed a whole new respect for filmmakers.  I think Peter Jaszi hit the nail on the head when he says that copyright is a first amendment right that we jeapradorize losing if we do not use it.  I also think this presentation would make a great opener for classroom discussion because the content is highly relevant to the population I teach.  My students are creative and resourceful so creating YouTube videos paying homage to this week’s favorite musician or athlete is no uncommon. I think this presentation makes it very clear about how to do that legally.    The Code of Best Practices for Online Video appears to be wonderful resource to help empower emerging techies!  Eyes on the Fair Use of the Prize was probably the most effective documentary I have ever viewed.  How come I did not know this! I am speechless and saddened.  The first thing that came to mind was Knowledge is Power, from the 1980’s School House Rock cartoons.

Copyright Issues Part 3: Finally, the Creative Commons segments were also helpful. I think this forum has been a meaningful way for artists share their work. It is also a great resource for people like me, who do not have the artistic ability to design original material to use in my professional and personal life. Providing valuable and free educational resources like, Creative Commons,  is an empowering tool for aspiring and established artists and students as well. 


Elizabeth Granberg: 
I absolutely remember the days of going to the library and photocopying pictures straight out of books. For projects we would copy and paste whole paragraphs into our papers and not change a single word. The videos and movie definitely did a great job at explaining the legality behind copyrighting and also opening up my eyes to a lot of things that I did not know about copyrights. The Fair(y) Use Tale was definitely a cute film. I was bugging out a little bit with some of the sounds after a while, but it definitely got the point across! Again, the videos were a great way to demonstrate how to properly use media and text, and how to do so legally. Technology is and has changed the world dramatically. I wish that these videos were around when I was learning about these things in high school. Even now I with that I knew about these videos a few years ago because they would have come in handy with my undergraduate work. Creative Commons has definitely opened up a world for many people to explore, create and imagine. With the ability to use images without having to worry about legal repercussions, you have the freedom to create and express yourself. It is a great tool that is out there for those of us that need an outlet for our creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment